At PCrefurb we accept donations of unwanted IT equipment – laptops, flat screen monitors, desktop computers, tablets, phones, etc. – from individuals, businesses and other organisations. Our aim is to refurbish these donations and give them to those in the community that need them, supporting individuals in need, local and national charities, community groups, schools and more.
Please see below for details of what we are currently able to accept.
Please note: There may be occasions when we are unable to accept donations for a short period of time while we process current stock.
Collection or drop off
We can collect local donations of IT equipment by arrangement or you can drop off equipment with us in Glossop.
Thanks to our friends at Zink in Buxton donations can also be dropped off with them.
Our ideal laptops are less than 5 years old, but we will consider older equipment on a case-by-case basis. Chargers are greatly appreciated but not essential.
Tablets and iPads
We accept known to work, undamaged tablets, minimum Android version 8 or iPad 5th Generation or above. Any older devices will not be secure. Chargers and charging leads are greatly appreciated but not essential. All account information, pin-codes and passwords must be removed. See below for how to do this.
We accept known to work, undamaged smart phones, minimum Android version 8 or iPhone 6. Any older devices will not be secure. Chargers and charging leads are greatly appreciated but not essential. If your donated phone is locked to a network provider (e.g.O2, Vodafone, EE, Three etc.) do please let us know which one. All account information, pin-codes and passwords must be removed. See below for how to do this.
27/9/23 – we are unable to accept desktop computers at the moment while we process our current stock. Corporate donors please contact us to discuss donations.
We accept flat screen monitors 19 inch or above. We cannot take large, CRT monitors or televisions.
We are unable to accept printers.
Cables, leads and laptop chargers
We accept undamaged computer mains leads (IEC/kettle leads), monitor leads and laptop chargers. We cannot use TV leads or non-UK mains leads. All equipment and leads are PAT tested before redistribution.
27/9/23 – we cannot accept ink cartridges at the moment.
We will consider any IT related equipment so please contact us and we’ll happily have a discussion.
Our processes for refurbishing IT equipment are comprehensive. In summary:
- Donations are logged in our administrative systems so they can be tracked through our refurbishing and/or recycling processes.
- Data wiping – we erase data from hard drives and other storage devices using industry standard methods, producing an individualised certificate of destruction where required. See below for further information on data wiping.
- Hardware testing – donations are stress-tested and PAT tested, and a variety of hardware tests are run as appropriate.
- Software installation – we reinstall operating systems and can install software to meet individual’s needs on request, e.g. accessibility software.
- We are a Registered Third Party Microsoft Refurbisher so can install the latest Windows Operating Systems for eligible customers.
If we are unable to refurbish and redistribute donations or reuse any salvaged components we recycle them following the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive. We are registered with the Environment Agency.
We do not look at the content of your hard drives when you donate computers to us. We remove the drives and use professional, industry standard software to wipe the data. Should you wish to delete data from your hard drives yourself before donating them to us, we recommend using a dedicated erasure program such as Active@KillDisk – a freeware version is available which will do far more than simply deleting files or reformatting the disc. Other free data wiping programs are available. Whether you choose to do this yourself or not, we still follow our strict procedures of data erasure using professional software designed to international standards.
Removing Accounts From Mobile Devices
In order to reuse mobile devices we perform a factory reset, but in order for us to get past factory reset protection, please ensure that you have removed your personal accounts such as Google, iTunes, Samsung or other device specific accounts. Unfortunately if these accounts are not removed we will be unable to refurbish and distribute your device to someone in need.
On Android devices go to:
Settings > Accounts > [your google account] > Remove Account
Also remove all other accounts such as Samsung accounts.
On Apple devices, remove any passcodes and remove it from your list of associated devices and remove your iCloud/iTunes account or else we won’t be able to reuse it.
- If you’ve paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
- Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store.
- If you’re using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
- If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.
- Go back to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.