At PCrefurb we accept donations of unwanted IT equipment – laptops, flat screen monitors, desktop computers, tablets, phones, etc. – from individuals, businesses and other organisations. Our aim is to refurbish these donations and give them to those in the community that need them. Examples of those we have helped include a special needs group, after-school clubs, a school group in India, a primary school in Kenya, local community groups, national charities and many individuals.
We can collect donations of IT equipment by arrangement or you can drop them in to our weekly workshop. We have links with Eyam Repair Cafe and Transition Buxton, so if these groups are local to you, look out for drop-off points at their events.
Our ideal laptops and computers are less than 5 years old, but we will consider older equipment on a case-by-case basis.
We accept flat screen monitors, and combination flat screen monitors/TVs. We cannot take large, CRT monitors.
Phones and Tablets
We accept all mobile devices, working or broken.
If you are donating an Apple device, please, remove any passcodes and remove it from your list of associated devices and remove your iCloud/iTunes account or else we won’t be able to reuse it, only recycle it for its component parts.
Printers and Scanners
We accept working printers and scanners. Items that have known errors we will consider on a case-by-case basis.
We accept unopened printer ink cartridges.
We will consider any IT related equipment so please contact us and we’ll happily have a discussion.
Please note: There may be occasions when we are unable to accept donations for a short period of time while we process current stock.
Our processes for refurbishing IT equipment are comprehensive. In summary:
- Donations are logged in our administrative systems so they can be tracked through our refurbishing and/or recycling processes.
- Data wiping – we erase data from hard drives and other storage devices using industry standard methods, producing an individualised certificate of destruction where required. See below for further information on data wiping.
- Hardware testing – donations are stress-tested and PAT tested, and a variety of hardware tests are run as appropriate.
- Software installation – we reinstall operating systems and can install software to meet individual’s needs on request, e.g. accessibility software.
- We are a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher so can install the latest Windows Operating Systems for eligible customers.
If we are unable to refurbish and redistribute donations or reuse any salvaged components we recycle them following the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive.
We do not look at the content of your hard drives when you donate computers to us. We remove the drives and use professional, industry standard software to wipe the data. Should you wish to delete data from your hard drives yourself before donating them to us, we recommend using a dedicated erasure program such as Active@KillDisk – a freeware version is available which will do far more than simply deleting files or reformatting the disc. Other free data wiping programs are available. Whether you choose to do this yourself or not, we still follow our strict procedures of data erasure using professional software designed to international standards.
Registered Charity Number 1184155
PCrefurb is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)